The Grammy Award, which is simply coined ‘Grammy’ was originally called Gramophone Award.
It is a yearly event and highest music award presented by the Recording Academy to recognize outstanding achievement in the music industry.
Grammy is considered one of the four major annual American entertainment awards, along with the Academy Awards (film), the Emmy Awards (television), and the Tony Awards (theater and Broadway), between the American Music Awards in fall, and Billboard Music Awards in summer.
The annual presentation ceremony features performances by prominent artistes, and the presentation of awards that have more popular interest.
The first Grammy Awards ceremony was held on May 4, 1959, to honor and celebrate music icons by performers for the year 1958.
Following the 2011 ceremony, the Academy overhauled many Grammy Award categories for 2012.
It would be recalled that some veteran Nigerian music stars have been nominated for this exotic awards but without success. Artistes like King Sunny Ade, Femi Kuti and others have received several nominations.
The following is a list of Grammy Awards winners and nominees from Nigeria:
• 2021 Burna Boy, Won ‘Twice as Tall’
• 2021 Wizkid Won ‘Best Album Video’
• 1984 Falana Precious Nominee for Best Ethnic or Traditional
• 1998 Ataminor Jubilee, Nominee for Best World Music
Album’Love Drum Talk’.
• 1999 King Sunny Ade, Nominee for Best World Music Album ‘Fight
• 2003 Femi Kuti Nominee for Best World Music Album
• 2010 Femi Kuti, Nominee for Contemporary World Music Album
‘Day by Day’.
• 2012 Femi Kuti, Nominee ‘Africa for Africa’
• 2014 Femi Kuti, Nominee ‘No Place for My Dream’
• 2018 Seun Kuti, Nominee for Best World Music Album ‘Black
• 2020 Burna Boy Nominee for ‘African Giant’
In summary, March 14, 2021 is historic as Burna Boy and Wizkid did Nigeria proud emerging the winners of the 2021 edition of Grammy Awards. Their success indeed is a celebration for many years to come to the entire black race and a source of inspiration to the younger generation in the music world.