Jude Abaga, widely known and addressed as M.I. Abaga is a popular Nigerian hip-hop rapper, song writer, lyricist, an instrumentalist, stage performer, recording artist and a model.
He was born on the 4th of October 1981 in Jos, Plateau State in North central Nigeria to Pastor and Mrs. Abaga from Takum, a community in Taraba State in the northern part of Nigeria.
M.I. had his primary education and Baptist High School also in Jos, Plateau State of Nigeria. After obtaining the usual first and secondary school certificates respectively, he made his journey into music, a career he had always dreamt of even from his secondary school days in 1998.
After his secondary education in Nigeria, he proceeded to Calvin College in Michigan in the United States of America to have a degree in Business and Economics.
While pursuing his business and Economics, he performed regularly at most school shows and concerts, a solid foundation for his musical career journey.
His Musical Career
M.I. musical career actually started at a very tender age when he used to perform at school and event shows, rapping and free styling. At that time, his mother encouraged him by buying some minor musical instruments like Piano and guitar which of course prepared him for a full time musical profession.
M.I. revealed that he drew his inspiration from the late Bob Marley, Tupac, DMX, Lauryn, Pablo Neruba. His beautiful dream is to be like the above mentioned music legends.
While in school, he laid a solid foundation for full realization of this dream. Thus, he was a poet and at the same pursuing his business and economics. He performed regularly at school shows and concerts.
M.I.‘s popularity grew unabated on Campus. He became a force to reckon with as his tremendous rap performance at Hip-Hop.
In 2003, there was a Campus show at Calvin College. His brilliant performance at the show earned him third position in the competition.
M.I. came back to Nigeria in 2003 from the United States of America. He met the Nigerian stars in hip hop rap industry like Eedris Abdulkareem, Ruggedman, Olamide, Falz and others.
He released his single hit album “Safe”. The song was very successful as it was aired freely in most African radio and music video stations and MTV base. The track also earned him awards at the Nigerian Music Video Awards at the City People Entertainment Awards and other Nigerian Entertainment hubs Awards.
M.I. Abaga in his years of musical career received several prestigious awards both locally and internationally. They include:
- Best Rap single of the year and Lyricist Awards at the Headies Awards in 2018.
- Best Rap album of the year at the Headies Awards for his album “The Chairman” in 2015.
- Revelation of the year at the Hip-Ho World Awards.
- Best new Act of the year at the Nigerian Entertainment Awards.
- Best Rap single at the Hip-Hop World Awards
- 2008 Musician of the year at Modemum Awards
- Best New Act at the MTV African Music Awards.
- Best Use of Special Effects in a Video Awards
- Best Mainstream Hip-Hop Video at the Nigerian Music Video Awards.
- 2010 Musician of the year at the future Awards.
- 2010 Musician of the year at the city People Entertainment Awards.
- 2010 Musician of the year at Malaysian African Entertainment Awards.
- Bes Rap single of the year at Headies Awards.
- American BET Awards
- Award for International recognition in South African at the famous Channel O Music Video Awards.
- MTV Base Music Video Awards and others.
The Nigerian legend was appointed a brand Ambassador to GLO Nigeria, a communication giant, in company of top Nigerian music stars like Ice Prince, Flavour, Burna Boy, Omawunmi and others.
M.I. was also appointed a judge to GLO X Factor, a reality singing platform to bring out young up-coming stars in music.
His Net Worth
M.I. has been described by many as the King rapper of Nigeria, rated one of the richest and most influential with a net worth of $4 million dollars.