Pastor Enoch Adeboye is the General Overseer, the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG).
He was born into a poor family on the 2nd of March, 1942 in the village of Ifewara, Osun State, in the South-Western part of Nigeria. He grew up humble, calm, collected and highly talented and never at time in life lost focus. His earlier teacher had no doubt that Enoch would emerge an academician and a great man.
Pastor Adeboye had his elementary education in Osun State and one of the Nigeria’s foremost Secondary Schools, Ilesha Grammar School, Osun State in 1956 where he obtained his first and secondary school certificates respectively.
He later went to Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife also in Osun State to obtain a Bachelors degree in Mathematics in 1967, a Masters degree in Hydrodynamics from the University of Lagos, Nigeria in 1969 and a Doctorate Degree in Applied Mathematics from the same university of Lagos in 1975.
He revealed his inordinate ambition to become the youngest University President in Africa, but as fate would have it, his ambition was replaced with a strong passion to work for God by pioneering Bible study meetings, crusades, revivals, outreaches and the evangelistic programs known as the Congress. He successfully carried out these assignments in various cities all over South-West Nigeria.
He was a professor of mathematics at the University of Lagos, Nigeria. He had a humble beginning working with the founder of RCCG as an interpreter of sermons from Yoruba to the English language.
The mantle of leadership to lead RCCG however fell on Pastor Enoch Adeboye in 1981 and since then, RCCG has experienced an unimaginable growth and success through his sound teachings, converting millions of people to Christianity and liberating mankind from demonic oppressions.
Enoch Adeboye good dream is to have an RCCG branch 5 minutes from every home not only in Nigeria but across the Globe.
He is a very humble man who commands respects. He took over from Papa Akindayonu as the G.O, RCCG in 1981. His humility, dedication and meekness actually earned him that position despite the pressure for that apex position.
RCCG is also one of the largest churches in the world with branches in over 200 countries across the globe and about 20,000 churches of RCCG in Nigeria.
Pastor Enoch Adeboye has earned a number achievements worth mentioning:
His trademark of humility is marvellous and endearing. His passion for soul-winning called for his passion for church-planting, and through this, countless people have been inspired to follow him and serve the Lord in the ministry and many have received deliverance from satanic oppression through his sound ministrations.
Since 1981, when he became the General Overseer of RCCG, he has been very active in the work of God through preaching missions in virtually every continents of the world.
This has been made possible through:
- Live Television programs broadcast on a digital-cable channel called Open Heavens TV, and Satellite radio.
- The annual March 3-Day Special Holy Ghost Service in Nigeria with an average attendance of millions of people.
- The monthly Holy Ghost Service in Nigeria with an average attendance of over 500,000 congregation.
- The annual December weeklong Holy Ghost Congress.
- The quarterly Festival of in London, UK and various cities in the US and UK.
- The annual RCCG Conventions in Nigeria, UK, Asia and the US millions of people in attendance.
- The annual RCCG Leadership and Discipleship Conferences and Retreats all over the world.
Enoch Adeboye has written over 100 books available in English, French and other major languages of the world. The books also serve as his evangelical mission to reach out to the world.
He has established an endowment funds for 4 Nigerian Universities and a Redeemed University.
In recognition of his contribution as a global icon and preacher of God’s Word, he was selected in 2008 as one of the world’s 50 most influential people by Newsweek magazine, USA.
This great man of God, Enoch Adeboye is globally recognized and his wealth of counsel has been sought by reputable figures including governors, presidents as well as in both the secular and religious arenas.
No wonder he has received a wide range of groups that have honored him, including numerous honorary doctorates from many institutions in the Nigeria and abroad in appreciation of his contributions to humanity.
Some of the recognitions include:
- 1999 – Received honorary citizenship and key of Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
- 2000 – Dedicated the first chapel in the Nigerian Presidential Villa, Abuja, Nigeria.
- 2002 – Received the key to the city of Detroit, Michigan.
- 2005 – Received honorary citizenship and key of Dallas, Texas, USA.
- 2005 – Received honorary citizenship and key of Baltimore, Maryland, United States.
- 2008 – Awarded a National Honor (Order of the Federal Republic of Nigeria) by the Nigerian President.
- 2009 – Led the Pre-Summit Prayers at the 64th General Assembly of the United Nations Headquarters, New York.
- 2009 – Named one of The World’s Fifty Most Powerful People by Newsweek Magazine (USA).
- 2009 – Awarded honorary doctorate degree – University of Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria.
- 2009 – Awarded honorary doctorate degree – University of Nigeria, Nsukka, Nigeria.
- 2009 – Awarded honorary doctorate degree in Theology – Canada Christian College, Canada.
- 2010 – Awarded a National Sports Honor (Spiritual Pillar of Nigerian Sports).
- 2011 – Chaired United Nations Global Summit on the Road Map to a Culture of Peace in the Middle East.
- 2011 – Awarded honorary doctorate degree – University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria.
- 2011 – Received award as the Best/Most Profitable Icon/Personality in Nigeria
- 2014 – Awarded National Honour – (CON) Commander of the Order of the Niger
- 2015 – Awarded Honorary Doctor of Science – University of Lagos
- 2015 – Certificate of Recognition – The Congress of The United States of America
- 2015 – Presidential Merit Award – The Nigerian Society of Engineers
Though the above achievements are phenomenal, Enoch Adeboye never fails to give glory to God, claiming that there are greater things ahead that the Lord will yet do.
Papa Adeboye got married to his beloved wife, Foluke Adenike Adeboye for over 45 years and the marriage is blessed with four children – three boys and a daughter and many grand and great grand children.
Pastor Enoch Adeboye is an accomplished man of God rated one of the richest pastors in Nigeria and Africa with a net worth of over $500 million dollars.