He was born and raised in Delta State on May 30, 1971. He is the son of the famous Pastor Paul Adefarasan, the Metropolitan Senior Pastor of the House of Rock Churches Worldwide.
Sammie had his primary and secondary education in Delta State in south southern Nigeria respectively.
Sammie began his music career dated back to his early days in his local Church as Choir playing piano at the age of 10.
He started music professionally in 1992 when he joined Nollywood as a sound track producer and eventually made it to full time music production.
He has collaborated with many other artistes in the gospel and soul music fields, has performed regularly in Africa, Europe, and North America, and curates a series of concerts called SOPP (Sammie Okposo Praise Party).
His most recent album, The Statement (2018), was produced by the Grammy-winning Kevin Bond.
Sammie is also Glabacom Ambassador and the United Nations Peace Ambassador.
In the year 2000, the talented singer raised the African music to global recognition and received massive airplay with his hit song “Welu Welu” gaining world play.
In 2004, the veteran Nigerian singer was invited to perform at the Martin Luther King Day and 4th Independence Celebration by the American Ambassador to Nigeria respectively.
Sammie’s music group made up of 12 piece Band “DX Generation is rated one of the best in the World rating, toping African charts as most inspiring and entertaining.
Sammie’s latest songs include:
• Oghenne Do
• Chukwu Ebube
• High Love
• A Marvellous Thing
• Naija Praise
• Let Peace Reign
• The Statement (2018) among others.
Sammie as is fondly called, is a lead Psalmist and has featured in several Christian Concerts alongside International music stars like Kirk Franklin, Fed Hammond, Shaggy, Jonathan Nelson, Maxi Priest, Missy Elliot, Lionel Peterson, Jessy Dickson, Ron Kenoly, Nicole Mullen, Micah Stampley among others.
Awards and Recognitions
Sammie Okposo has won over forty different awards globally. Some and most recent include:
• 1994 Most Promising Male Artiste at the Fame Music Awards.
• 1998 Best sound track at the Nigerian Movie Awards
• 2001 Best Gospel Artiste at the Amen Awards, Nigeria
• 2002 Gospel Artiste of the year at the Power of Music and Praise Awards
• 2006 Best Gospel Artiste in English at Afro Hollywood Awards, Uk
• 2006 Best Male Gospel Artiste in Africa at the Kora Awards in South Africa
• 2008 Best Contemporary Gospel Artiste at the Nigerian Music Awards
• 2012 Trail Blazer Awards at the African Gospel Music Awards Uk
• 2016 Best Worship Song at the Trumpet Music Gospel Awards in South Africa
• 2017 AGMMA Artiste of the year Award at the African Gospel Music and Media Awards, UK.
His Personal Life
Sammie Okposo is happily married to Ozioma Okopso and the union is blessed with lovely children.
His Net Worth
Sammie Okposo is a Nigerian most celebrated award-winning gospel singer, rated one of the richest and most influential with a net worth of about $800,000 dollars.