Uzoamaka Nwanneka Uzo Aduba is her real full name, but fondly called Uzo Aduba.
She is a Nigerian-American actress known for her role as Suzanne ‘Crazy Eyes’ Warren on the Netflix original series Orange Is the New Black (2013-present), which earned her an Emmy Awards for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series in 2014 and 2015 respectively.
Uzo was born on February 10, 1981 in Boston, Massachusetts, USA where she had her up-binging. She is of Igbo decent.
Uzo graduated from Medfield High School in 1999. She also attended Boston University, where she studied Classical Voice and competed in track and field events.
Uzo Aduba made her entry into acting in 2003.
Her brilliant performance in Translations of Xhosa at the Olney Theatre Centre for the Arts earned her a Helen Hayes Award nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Play.
Uzo played the character of Amphiarus in 2006 at New York Theatre Workshop and again in 2008 at La Jolla Playhouse.
Uzo Aduba has so far starred in several Hollywood movies notably as Toby in Helen Edmundson’s adaptation of Coram Boy at the Imperial Theatre in 2007.
Other movies to her credit include ‘By My Side’, her first television appearance on Blue Bloods in 2012 and the mother of the title character of Venice at The Public Theatre in New York.
Aduba obtained her Screen Actors Guild card, a development she said elevated her status in the movie world. According the Nigerian American superstar, “I was just like, ‘Wow, this means I’m a full actor now.’ It was such a big deal, and I remember being so thankful and feeling so proud.”
Awards and Nominations
Aduba has in the course of her acting career won several awards, notably as:
• Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series at the 66th Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards.
• Best Guest Performer in a Comedy Series at the 4th Critics’ Choice Television Awards.
• Nominated for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film at the 18th Satellite Awards for her season one performance.
• Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series at the 21st Screen Actors Guild Awards
• nominee for Best Supporting Actress – Series, Miniseries or Television Film at the 72nd Golden Globe Awards
• Aduba won a second Primetime Emmy at the 67th Primetime Emmy Awards in 2015, winning the award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.
These laudable achievements made her the first actress to win both a drama and comedy Emmy for the same role and numerous others.
In March 2014, the veteran performed at Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS Benefit Concert Broadway Backwards. Aduba teamed with Rachel Bay Jones for a rendition of the song “Lily’s Eyes” from the musical The Secret Garden.
Aduba plays a major role in ‘My Little Pony’, a movie where she voices Queen Novo, leader of the Hippogriffs/Seaponies. She is also part of the upcoming independent film, ‘Miss Virginia.’
Her Net Worth
Uzo Aduba is indeed a veteran in the movie scene, rated one of the richest and most influential with an estimated net worth of over $1 million dollars.